DISCLAIMER: It’s important to note that the posts in this page are NOT intended to be a medical reference or to replace professional care during pregnancy, labor, or birth.

Sunday, 8 June 2014

My 2nd Pregnancy & Birth Story

Assalamualaikum :-)

I am indeed sorry that I took such a long time to write up this 2nd birth story.


I found out I was pregnant with my 2nd one at about 5 weeks of gestation. The line on the pregnancy test I took was really faded, so I took another test 1 hour later ( I was working in a clinic at that moment, so it was convenient for me to grab another test right away :-) ) The other test was also faded, but both tests did darken with time.

As a working doctor, with ultrasound at the clinic at that time, I decided to do an ultrasound right away on myself (too excited!). And indeed I saw a gestational sac! Was so excited, over the moon, MashaAllah!
We really wanted a sibling for my eldest daughter.

I went for my first antenatal check-up with OBGYN. Everything seem normal at that time except that I started having quite sever nausea and vomiting.


At about 7th week of gestation, while I was bathing my eldest daughter, suddenly I felt a sharp lower abdominal pain, and a gush of blood came..and the amount was so scary! It was literally a pool of fresh blood! I called for my mother in law and hubby who came rushing to help me lie down on the bed.

I was a bit panicked at that moment of time even though I experienced similar bleeding problem with my first pregnancy. However, this time around, the bleeding came gushing with fresh blood as compared to menses-like bleeding the first time around. We went to the hospital that night and at the ER they gave me a progesterone jab along with some progesterone tablets to start on. Ultrasound showed subchorionic bleed and there was fetal heartbeat (so I was relieved!).

A week went by, and the bleeding subsided Alhamdulillah!


As for my nausea and vomiting, it started at about 6 weeks gestation but became worse at about 10 weeks gestation. I was wondering why it became worse when it was supposed to subside with time..
It came to a point when I could not even take liquids, I would throw everything up..and I had this aching pain at my right hypochondrial area for a few days..went to the OBGYN but could not find anything on her ultrasound..she suggested I make an appointment with the radiological department for further detailed ultrasound of the abdomen..

Next day, while I was at work, I developed fever with nausea, vomiting and chills. Went to the ER and they referred me to radiological department after taking my blood for blood tests. According to the radiologists, they saw my appendix was swollen with fluid around it and alerted the surgeons. I was scheduled for an emergency appendicectomy and was put on General Anaesthesia (because the appendix will most likely rupture if they do not remove it, and that could be fatal for me) . Only God knows how worried I was at that moment, a surgery under general anaestesia at 12 weeks gestation! But the benefits outweighed the risks and my husband and I surrendered to Allah Almighty to save me and the baby.

Alhamdulillah, surgery went well, I recovered quite fast and was able to eat and drink normally again! Ramadhan came along soon after that, and Alhamdulillah, I managed to fast for the whole month without missing a day :-)


I gave birth to Nur Nabeeha while she was just 36 weeks of gestation..which is 4 weeks earlier than my expected due date.

Just two weeks before giving birth, which is about 34 weeks of pregnancy, I found out that I had pregnancy-induced Hypertension..which was quite a surprise for me as my blood pressure had always been on the lowish side. I was negligent too I guess, was too confident that everything is fine and was busy with household stuff and work that I neglected my last follow up and went for check-up two weeks later..It was an irony too, because I was working in a clinic at that time, and the blood pressure machine was always just beside me all the time, but never did I bother to check on my blood pressure!!
So anyway, doctor told me to monitor my blood pressure 4 times daily and get plenty rest, and didn't start me on any medication yet.

Besides the hypertension, I also started to leak some liquor (that's the main reason I  went for the check-up that day)..So again, I was told to monitor the leaking and given a follow-up the following week.

Interventions were taken that day too, like steroid injections for baby's lung maturity (just in case I deliver earlier that 36 weeks..) The doctor was hoping to buy some time before planning to induce my delivery until baby is 36 weeks and until more that 2kg..(at that moment of time, she was merely 1.8kg)..

So a week went by and I went for my follow up the following weeks..still leaking, and blood pressure fluctuating. So the OBGYN suggested to induce delivery on the 29th of December 2011 and although we were reluctant with the thought of induction, at that point of time, that was what we thought was the right thing to do in the best interest of the baby..


The following morning after the check-up, I woke up for Fajr prayers, and realized that my waterbag has broken..It was about 6.45am..I woke hubby up and told him..
Then I packed up my hospital bag..and also packed up my elder's daughter bag (to send her to her grandma's).
I told hubby to get some rest as it's gonna be a long day :-)
Then he woke up at about 9.30a.m, saying he's worried that I would be in pain and couldn't sleep anymore. At that point of time, I had no pain yet, just discomfort from the water gushing out.
So we had roti canai for breakfast, and left house at about 11 a.m. We sent off my elder daughter and the maid to my MIL before going to the hospital.While on the way, I took sips of water which I soaked Bunga Kembang Fatimah with (it's suppose to help to accelerate labour).

We reached hospital at about 12 p.m and went straight to labour room. I felt my first contraction while we were in the car. At the labour room, the midwife checked and said that it was going to be a long way till delivery because cervix wasn't favourable at all..At about 1pm, my OBGYN came and did a V.E. She said I was already 2cm open..Alhamdulillah! However, she suggested that I was started on Pitocin to speed up the labour (with the reasons that I had been leaking liquor for some time and she did not want any infection to develop if the labour took "too long". She also was worried that a long labour might accentuate my hypertension). At that moment, I consented.

So she asked if i wanted epidural..I declined because I didn't like the idea of a needle poking nearby my spinal cord and also didn't want the side effects afterwards. I didn't take it for my first delivery, so I thought probably I might not need it this time as well..

At about 2p.m, I felt intense pain, and was already 3cm open. I requested for pethidine, and was given a shot. My BP shot up at that moment of time too so they gave me some anti-hypertensives and off the lights and told me to rest..
After that, I couldn't remember quite clearly anymore..All I knew was I keep waking up because of the intense pain..and at about 5pm, was told that I was 5cm open..and about 30 minutes later, I felt like pushing already..I told the nurse to check and to her surprise, I was already fully dilated and baby's head was ready to pop out..

So I started pushing, but to my despair, the nurse took a sanitary pad and blocked the opening, told me to stop pushing until the OBGYN comes. I was so angry at that point, I started shouting away. Luckily, the OBGYN  arrived soon and only after 1 push, the baby was out! Alhamdulillah, I heard her cry and all the pain went away after that. To my delight, I was told that perineum was intact and no stitches were needed.

My 2nd Daughter (Nur Nabeeha)

When two sisters meet for the first time :-)

I was saddened that they did not allow me skin to skin time with my baby with the excuse that baby was small and had to be put to warmer. It really did hurt me but I was too weak to fight for it at that moment.
All I was thinking about was how glad I was to have delivered a healthy baby!

So overall, my active phase of labour this time was only about 5 hours, Alhamdulillah..compared to the 12 hours the previous time. I probably could give some credit to me making a habit to walk at least 15 minutes daily this time around :-) Hubby was there all the way beside me, giving me support and reminding me to be patient and salawat as much as I can..He was a gem at that moment, I cound't thank him enough..I held his hand all the way through the contraction pains..

Alhamdulillah for the fast and safe delivery :-)

As for my blood pressure, it went back to normotensive state about 2 weeks post-partum :-)

Even with the bad experiences during the labor this time around, I am thankful for a safe delivery and healthy baby, Alhamdulillah!

The past two birth experiences has encouraged me to look deeper into Gentle Birthing and hopefully I get a peaceful, calm gentle birth the next time around, InshaAllah!

No comments:

Post a Comment